Are you a feminist? According to one survey, only 29 per cent of American woman identify themselves as such. Caitlin Moran wonders if the remaining 71 per cent were drunk at the time of the survey.“What do you think feminism is, ladies? What part of ‘liberation for women’ is not for you? Is it freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man you marry? The campaign for equal pay? …Did all that stuff just get on your nerves?” If there’s something about controlling your own destiny that sounds good to you, read How to be a Woman. It’s part memoir, part defense of “strident feminism”, and part tirade against the backsliding of feminism that overlooks women’s achievements and talents in favor of scrutinizing their appearance, marital status and childbearing (or lack of). In case this all sounds too horrifyingly grim, be of good cheer: Caitlin Moran is a very hilarious woman. Unladylike, vulgar and unafraid to make fun of herself, she cheerfully reveals her own foibles and her road to becoming the kind of woman she wanted to be.