2017 Poetry Contest: Deadline extended! Entries accepted through Thursday, April 6th at 5pm
April is National Poetry Month, and to celebrate, we’re doing another Poetry Contest! We encourage those 18+ to submit an original poem by April 6th, 2017. The top three poems will be awarded prizes and will be featured on our website in mid-April once poems have been selected and winners have been notified.
POETRY CONTEST RULES
- Poems can only be submitted online using the form below. No poems will be accepted in person, in any format, at any library branch.
- Poems must be the original, previously unpublished work of the submitter.
- Length of poems cannot exceed 40 lines.
- Poems must be suitable for a general audience, e.g. no profanity, vulgarity, etc.
- There is a limit of 2 poems per entrant, up to 40 lines each. Please use a separate form for each entry.
- Contest is open to current Mesa County Libraries cardholders 18+.
- Deadline for entries is Thursday, April 6th, at 5pm. PLEASE NOTE: Poems received after this time and date will not be considered.
- By submitting a poem, you agree to let Mesa County Libraries use your poem on our website. The copyright is retained by the author.
- Poems will be judged on originality, creativity, grammar, artistic quality and adherence to the length limit of 40 lines. The decision of the judge is final.
- Names will be taken off each submission when judging to ensure impartiality.
- Staff of Mesa County Libraries are not eligible for entry.
- Prizes: the top three poets will receive a $20 (1st place), $15 (second place) or $10 (third place) gift card to Downtown Grand Junction.
The contest will be judged by Dr. Randy Phillis, professor of English at CMU, and author of the poetry collections: A Man Explains His Posture; Kismet, Colorado; and Plots We Can’t Keep Up With.
Please call 970-683-2408 or email email@example.com with any questions.