About the Literacy Center
The Literacy Center offers literacy programs to adults at no charge. Classes are taught by trained volunteers and involve one-to-one or small group instructions for adults looking to improve reading, writing, math and study skills. We also offer help with the citizenship exam and English as a second language (ESL).
We currently have two language learning programs: Rosetta Stone & Mango Languages. Rosetta Stone is available in the literacy computer lab at the Central Library or from home. Mango Languages is available at any library branch, or from home via the library’s website. (please note we will be discontinuing Mango Language in June, 2015.)
How Do I Get a Tutor?
Please call the Literacy Program Coordinator at 970-683-2421 for more information.
How Do I Become a Volunteer Tutor?
Volunteer tutors are crucial to our students’ success, and are the backbone of our program. Work with adults one-on-one or in groups instructing reading, writing, citizenship preparation and conversation skills. To apply, please fill out a volunteer application form and return the completed form to the Literacy Center at the Central library.
For the Community
Representatives of The Literacy Center are happy to conduct presentations for your group on the problem of illiteracy in our community. We can provide statistics and facts about illiteracy and its impact on our world plus provide more information on our services.
Donate to the Literacy Center
The Literacy Center depends on grants and private donations to assist in providing free services to Mesa County residents. To support the efforts of The Literacy Center and make a difference in someone’s life, donations can be made directly to Mesa County Libraries. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Literacy Program Coordinator: 970-683-2421
Community/Outreach Liason (habla Español): 970-683-2433
Karen Kllanxhja (kkllanxhja @ mcpld.org) Head of Literacy Services
Eusabia Garza (egarza @ mcpld.org) Community/Outreach Liason
Wendy Kirby (wkirby @ mcpld.org) Literacy Program Coordinator
- Citizenship Study Guide -in English and Spanish
- ESL Study Site
- US Citizenship & Immigration Services
- Guide to Naturalization
- EL Civics for ESL Students
- Pumarosa – Learn English
- Cursos Gratis en Español – ¡Con libertad para aprender lo que desea, cuando quiera, absolutamente gratis!
- Learn-A-Test: Includes GED, Citizenship & more. Library card required.
- Computer Tutorial en Espanol
- ESL Study Site
- Lanuage Learning Videos
- Speaking English-Pronunciation & Speaking Skills
- Pronunication Skills
- ESL Webguide
- GED Prep
- USA Learns
- Basic Grammar
- Colorín Colorado-Bilingual site for English Language Learners
- Mango Languages – Basic courses are offered for 45 foreign and 15 ESL languages, with most including more in-depth Complete courses as well. Library card required.
- Rosetta Stone – 30 languages. Library card required from home.