The Mesa County Public Library Foundation is setting the stage to develop a wildlife-identification and outdoor-recreation mobile app that will bring the research power of the library to users’ smartphones.
The Wild Colorado app will contain a searchable database of Colorado mammals, birds, fish, and reptiles that lets users identify wildlife they see while enjoying Colorado’s great outdoors. If they choose, app users will be able to personalize their wildlife-viewing experience by adding notes, taking photos, and sharing the information on popular social media.
“Every Coloradan who downloads the Wild Colorado app experiences the library in a radically new way,” said Joseph Sanchez, director of Mesa County Libraries. “The simple and intuitive interface lets teachers and students work together to enrich the education experience, while biologists, rangers, and hiking clubs can collaborate in real time. Wild Colorado is a social, interactive, and educational library experience with no due date.”
Mesa County Libraries and the Mesa County Public Library Foundation have partnered with Colorado photographers, Colorado Parks & Wildlife, and various Colorado companies and organizations to develop the Wild Colorado app. As envisioned in project planning, there will be no charge for users to download Wild Colorado: It will be a virtual public resource available statewide. To make that vision a reality, however, requires that approximately $15,000 be raised through a grassroots Kickstarter campaign that will run from Nov. 2 through Dec. 11, 2015.
The app is expected to be available for download in late spring/early summer 2016.
To learn more about the Wild Colorado app and to find a link to the Kickstarter campaign, click here.
Visit the Kickstarter page here.
Fact Sheet – Wild Colorado mobile app
● Wild Colorado is an outdoor-recreation mobile app that will bring the research power of the library to users’ smartphones.
● Wild Colorado will let users search a database of Colorado mammals, birds, fish, and reptiles, and identify wildlife they see while enjoying Colorado’s great outdoors.
● Wild Colorado will let users:
● Take photos of wildlife, add field notes, and store information in a personal collection
● View maps and see other Wild Colorado users’ notes
● Share information on social media such as Facebook and Twitter
● Mesa County Libraries and the Mesa County Public Library Foundation are developing partnerships with photographers, wildlife experts, and various public and private organizations to acquire photos and data, verify accuracy, and maintain the Wild Colorado app.
● The Mesa County Public Library Foundation is conducting an online Kickstarter fundraising campaign Nov. 2 through Dec. 11, 2015, to help develop this radical new way for outdoor enthusiasts to find information about Colorado wildlife.
● The Wild Colorado app is expected to be available for download in late spring/early summer 2016 for Android and iOS.
● To learn more about Wild Colorado and to find a link to the Kickstarter campaign, click here.