The library may be closed, but April is still National Poetry Month and the poetry must go on!
2020 Poetry Contest: Entries accepted Wednesday, April 1st through Friday, April 24th.
We encourage Teens in grades 6-12 and Adults age 18+ to submit an original poem by April 24th, 2020. The top three poems will be awarded prizes and will be featured on our website once poems have been selected and winners have been notified.
Once the library re-opens, we’ll have an award ceremony, too! Date TBD.
POETRY CONTEST RULES
- Poems can only be submitted online using the form below.
- Poems must be the original, previously unpublished work of the submitter.
- Length of poems cannot exceed 40 lines.
- Poems must be suitable for a general audience, e.g. no profanity, vulgarity, etc.
- There is a limit of 2 poems per entrant, up to 40 lines each. Please use a separate form for each entry.
- Contest is open to current Mesa County Libraries cardholders Grades 6-12 or Adults 18+.
- Deadline for entries is Friday, April 24th. PLEASE NOTE: Poems received after this time and date will not be considered.
- By submitting a poem, you agree to let Mesa County Libraries use your poem on our website. The copyright is retained by the author.
- Poems will be judged on originality, creativity, grammar, artistic quality and adherence to the length limit of 40 lines. The decision of the judge is final.
- Names will be taken off each submission when judging to ensure impartiality.
- Staff of Mesa County Libraries are not eligible for entry.
- Prizes: the top three poets in each category (Teen/Adult) will receive a $100 (1st place), $75 (second place) or $50 (third place) gift card to Downtown Grand Junction. There will also be prizes for honorable mentions this year.
The Teen contest will be judged by Noel Kalenian, Librarian and published poet.
The Adult contest will be judged by Dr. L. Luis Lopez, professor emeritus at CMU and current poet laureate of Colorado’s Western Slope. Lopez is also the author of five books of poetry including Each Month I Sing, winner of the American Book Award.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Submissions will be accepted online only April 1, 2020 through April 24, 2020.