Culture Fest, Mesa County Libraries’ annual celebration of cultural diversity on the Western Slope, happens online this year and features a wide-ranging look at the stories of several immigrants to the region. Because of pandemic-related precautions, the library is unable to host the in-person Culture Fest celebration this year.
Please see the schedule of virtual events below. The library will also be offering culturally-themed Take-and-Make kits for kids (see below).
SCHEDULE OF VIDEO RELEASES (Schedule is subject to change. Please refer to the Event Calendar for current information. All videos are scheduled for release on Mesa County Libraries’ YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram TV pages.)
- Culture Fest Art Show – On display at the Central Library from Oct. 23, 2020, through Jan. 7, 2021. Online art show and awards announcement premieres 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 6.
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 4, Video Interview: Brunella Gualerzi (Italy)
Brunella is the owner of il Bistro Italiano in downtown Grand Junction. Gualerzi was born in the small town of Bibbiano in northern Italy and grew up in a traditional family where cooking and making pasta were everyday activities.
- 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 6, How-To: Mango Languages – Italian
- 6 p.m. Monday, Nov. 16, Video Interview: Ana Marte (Puerto Rico)
Ana is a native of Puerto Rico who came to Grand Junction after graduating from the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagũez, in 2018 and now works for Mesa County Libraries.
- 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 20, How-To: Mango Languages – Spanish
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 2, Video Interview: Fadma Hankar (Morocco)
Fadma speaks three languages and worked as manager of a women’s cooperative in Morocco before coming to the United States four years ago.
- 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 4, How-To: Mango Languages – Arabic
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 16, Video Interview: Claudie Bertin (France)
- 10 a.m. Friday, Dec. 18, How-To: Mango Languages – French
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021, Video Interview: Danya Aletebi (Saudi Arabia)
Danya is a native of Saudi Arabia who migrated to Durango, Colo., in the 1990s and is an accomplished artist.
- 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 8, 2021, How-To: Libby – Multiple languages
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021, Video Interview: Meghan Bissonnette (Canada)
- 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 22, 2021, How-To: Mango Languages – French (Canadian)
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2021, Video Interview: Luisa Gil (Venezuela)
- 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 5, 2021, How-To: Mango Languages – Spanish
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2021, Video Interview: Elvira Ramirez (Mexico)
- 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 19, 2021, How-To: Kanopy – Cultural films
CULTURE FEST TAKE AND MAKE KITS (click links for more info)
CULTURE FEST ART SHOW
A popular part of the library’s traditional Culture Fest celebration is the juried art show, which displays the amazing work of artists from throughout the community.
Online and in-person audiences will be able to enjoy this year’s Culture Fest Art Show, which will be displayed both in the east hallway gallery at the Mesa County Central Library, 443 N. 6th St., and in an online format.
The show will hang in the Central Library from Oct. 23, 2020, through Jan. 7, 2021. The online art gallery and announcement of awards for the show will premiere at 6 p.m. Friday, Nov. 6, on the Mesa County Libraries YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram TV pages.
View the virtual show below!