Our digital conversion station allows you to:
- Turn those old VHS and VHS-C tapes into a digital file you can save and/or burn to DVD
- Convert Digital 8mm, Super 8 or Hi8 camcorder tapes to file or burn to DVD
- Scan old photos, negatives and slides
- Get data off 3 1/2 floppy disks and media cards
- Convert old cassette and vinyl tracks to mp3
- See all available equipment and instructions
General Conversion Station Guidelines
- You must request an initial appointment with a staff member before reserving time to use the Station (see form below).
- You must have the technical savvy to handle the equipment by yourself (after initial training).
- Initial appointments can only be made between the hours of 9am to 5pm, M-F.
- Drop-in use will be denied.
- The station can be reserved up to 2 days per week, up to 4 hours per session, and up to two weeks in advance, during regular Central Library operating hours.
- There is limited staff help available during your reservation–after the initial appointment, you will be on your own using the equipment. If you need additional training, you’ll need to set up another appointment.
- We do not provide any method to save your files–please bring a flash drive, memory card, external hard drive, or blank disk to save your project on. We do sell 2GB flash drives for $8 at the info desk downstairs, but that is not large enough for most video projects or high-resolution scans. One hour of video requires approximately 1GB of disk space.
- Fill out a request to meet with a staff member to get an overview of the equipment (see form below). Someone will get back to you within 3 business days.
- You can do your conversion session immediately following your orientation, or on another day.
- You can reserve the station up to 2 times per week, for up to 4 hours each session.
- To reserve time in the future after you’ve had your orientation session, call 970-683-2408 or email Cari. Make sure to request enough time for setup and file exporting, if applicable (30 minutes is a good standard).
- Evening appointments must end :15 minutes before library closing time.
- Please contact us if you need to cancel. Provide as much notice as possible so we can re-book the reservation time. Reservation can be canceled if you are not present after a period of 15 minutes from the reservation start time. Habitual no-shows may result in loss of privileges to use the station.
Conditions of Use
All users of the Station must:
- Be at least 16 years of age. Younger users are welcome to use the Station with an accompanying adult 18+.
- Have a regular (not CLC or digital access) Mesa County Libraries card in good standing (not expired and fines less than $10).
- Be present at all times during the reservation. Converting is ‘real time’ so if it’s a 2-hour VHS, it will take 2 hours, not including the time it takes to burn a file to DVD (about 10 minutes per hour of video).
- Adhere to the Library Code of Conduct.
- Leave a photo ID or library card with staff for the duration of the reservation.
- Abide by copyright laws. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. The person using this equipment is responsible for any infringement.
- Follow all manufacturer guidelines for equipment use.
- Understand that any files left on the Station laptop will be deleted once your reservation ends.
- Agree that if your project includes sound, headphones (either yours or those provided) must be used at all times.
- Meet with a staff person before and after the reservation time to determine the condition of the equipment.
- Follow food and drink policy. Food near the Station is not permitted. Beverages with secure lids are permitted.
- Accept full financial responsibility for equipment and agree to pay all costs associated with damage beyond normal wear and tear or loss of equipment and peripherals while in use, whether caused by inappropriate use or negligence.
The Library is not liable for any loss, damage, or expense sustained to your media in the use of Station equipment.
The Library is not responsible for equipment or files (digital or print) left behind.
The Library reserves the right to modify these conditions at any time.
Request to Use the Conversion Station
Please fill out the form below to request your Station orientation appointment. A staff member will contact you as soon as possible.
For returning users, please email or call Cari @ 970-683-2408 to reserve Station time.
Conversion Station Calendar
Please view the calendar below to check availability of station:
Please call 970-683-2408 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.