Learn about the human body and how to take care of it by visiting the interactive, hands-on “Discover Health/Descubre la Salud” traveling exhibition on display at the Mesa County Libraries Central Library, 443 N. 6th St. in downtown Grand Junction, through Sept. 28.
The display is set up throughout the Central Library and consists of bilingual information panels, interactive anatomical models, and computer-based interactives. The displays make learning about health fun and interesting for people of all ages. Mesa County Libraries also are offering a related series of health-education presentations during July, August, and September.
“Discover Health/Descubre la Salud” is open to the public at no charge during the Central Library’s regular business hours. All related events also are open to the public at no charge.
In addition to the main exhibit at the Central Library, traveling elements of “Discover Health” will be used to present programming at Mesa County Libraries branch locations. Look for health-related book displays and children’s events at library locations.
Among the upcoming health- and safety-related events scheduled at the Central Library are:
- 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 25, at the Central Library: “Nutrition/Nutricion!” Presenter Marina LaGrave, CEO of Centro Latinamericano para las Artes, Ciena y Educacion, which promotes science education, will lead a bilingual discussion about nutrition.
- 10 a.m. Thursday, July 26, at the Central Library: “The ABCs of Fall Prevention: How to Reduce Your Fall Risk and Prevent Future Falls.” Nathan Stinnett, PT, DPT, from Community Hospital will discuss health and safety concerns associated with fall risk, who is at risk, and what you can do to prevent falling.
- 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 9, at the Central Library: “Advance Directive Training.” Learn more about advance directives, which are legal documents outlining actions a person wishes to be taken in case of illness or incapacitation, and how to make them most effective. Please preregister for this event by calling 970-243-4442 or by visiting the online Events Calendar.
- 1 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20, at the Central Library: “Exercise Lifestyle.” Exercise physiologist Kara Griffith simplifies the three main components of exercise and discusses how to incorporate each into your lifestyle.
- 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, at the Central Library: “CPR and Fire Extinguisher Training.” Learn the basics of compression CPR and fire extinguisher safety and use.
- 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20, at the Central Library: “Health Careers Info Night and Job Fair.” Come to the library and learn about career opportunities in the health care fields from local experts, medical students, doctors, and more.
Mesa County Libraries are one of 10 locations in Colorado selected to host the exhibit.
“Discover Health/Descubre la Salud” was developed by the University of Colorado’s Anschutz Medical Campus in collaboration with the STAR-Net Library Education Network and Centro Latinamericano para las Artes, Ciena y Educacion. It is funded by a National Institutes of Health Science Education Partnership Award grant. The exhibition and programming at Mesa County Libraries are presented in partnership with the Western Colorado Area Health Education Center, local health professionals, and the Grand Junction Fire Department.