Hard to believe that fall is in the air and that school has been in session for a month!! I just wanted to officially congratulate all the participants of Summer Reading! There were 4,244 participants of all ages, who collectively read 28, 407 hours! For one person, that’s 3-years-worth of non-stop reading! Way to go!
Also, thanks to all the students who read for their elementary school. Our winner this year — the winner of five years in a row — for the most hours read by their students is Caprock Academy. Congratulations! They will receive a commemorative trophy and their name will be engraved on our school winners’ plaque at the Central library in the Children’s Center. I would also like to give a shout out to our second and third place winners: Appleton Elementary and Rimrock Elementary.
Lastly, I wanted to include all the grand prizes that winners received this summer. We had many winners from all our library locations! Congratulations!
- Kid Grand Prizes:
- 23 pairs of Grand Junction Rockies tickets
- 30 signed baseballs by the Grand Junction Rockies
- 6 $25 gift certificates to Out West Books
- 1 musical pop up book
- 8 band sets
- 4 autographed books: Her Right Foot by Eggers, Marley Dias Gets It Done and So Can You! by Dias, Jack and the Geniuses: At the Bottom of the World by Nye and Mone, & The Zanna Function by Wheatley
- 3 glow-in-the-dark ukuleles
- Teen Grand Prizes
- 5 reading kits including: bookmark, clip reading light, tea sampler, sketch pen, Moleskine reading journal, & $25 gift certificate at Barnes and Noble
- 7 autographed books: Dear Martin by Stone, Saints and Misfits by Ali, Devils Within by Henson, Eyes of the World by Aronson and Budhos, Keeper by Chance, Nothing But Sky by Trueblood, & Ship Breaker by Bacigalupi
- Adult Grand Prizes:
- 21 pairs and 8 singles of Grand Junction Rockies tickets
- 5 signed baseballs by the Grand Junction Rockies
- 16 $20 gift certificates to Downtown Grand Junction
- 4 $20 gift certificates to Amazon
We are looking forward to next year’s Summer Reading! Check out our website to find out what the theme will be. It’s out of this world!