Poem in Your Pocket Day takes place every year during National Poetry Month. The 2020 Poem in Your Pocket Day will take place on Thursday, April 30. The Academy of American Poets keeps this initiative going, and on the Poem in Your Pocket Day website you can find a 62-page free guide for celebrating in your school, community, or business, as well as other fun resources.
Here are some suggested activities from their website on how to participate:
- Select a poem and share it on social media using the hashtag #pocketpoem.
- Simultaneously participate in the Shelter in Poems initiative, and select a poem that brings you solace during this time of distance and solitude. Share what it means to you and use the hashtags #pocketpoem and #ShelterInPoems.
- Print a poem from the Poem in Your Pocket Day PDF and draw an image from the poem in the white space, or use the instructions on pages 59-60 of the PDF to make an origami swan.
- Record a video of yourself reading a poem, then share it on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or another social media platform you use.
- Email a poem to your friends, family, neighbors, or local government leaders.
- Schedule a video chat and read a poem to your loved ones.
- Add a poem to your email footer.
- Read a poem out loud from your porch, window, backyard or outdoor space.
In addition to the Poem in Your Pocket Day event, the Academy of American Poets presents Shelter In Poems: a Virtual Reading – a special offering of poems read by poets laureate, actors, musicians, artists, and more.
RSVP and join using this link on Thursday, April 30th at 5:30 pm MST.
And also on April 30, entries are due for our poetry contest for Teens and Adults!